(no subject)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 12 19:33:01 UTC 2008

But "a certain date" is ambiguous between 1 and 2. 1 is the sense of "date
certain", 2 is the everyday meaning. So "date certain" has the value of
being unambiguous, in a legal context where ambiguity is dangerous.

   1. a firm date for future action, which may or may not have been
   determined at the time the phrase is used ("We need to specify a date
   certain.")
   - A term identifying the date on/by which the specified actions of a
      contract can be reasonably completed. This date is important, as it is
      generally considered legally binding. (
      http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Date+Certain)
      2. a specific date, not necessarily "firm"that I have in mind
   but I'm not mentioning

m a m