Don't let's

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 17 02:13:46 UTC 2008

FWIW, besides the various British hits (Noel Coward's WWII fave
"Don't let's be beastly to the Germans"; cf. also the celebrated
memoir of a Rhodesian girlhood, _Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight_)
and the (I think) aforementioned hit single "Don't Let's Start" from
They Might Be Giants (as well as a new U.S. indie movie of the same
name currently in production according to IMDb), there's a song that
pops up on google, "Don't lets talk about Lisa", by Lonestar.
Contemporary, non-British, and featuring the eloquent couplet
"Priscilla was a killer/Meaner than Godzilla".

You can also find the classic (if non-contemporary) final
double-cigarette-lighting scene from "Now Voyager" in which Bette
Davis beseeches Paul Henreid, "Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the
moon, we have the stars".  Go to YouTube, plug in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KGiwGn1d8, listen to Bette as the
music wells up behind her, and *then* tell me you want to kick "don't
let's" out of the language.

LH