Shank's mare

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 17 16:30:03 UTC 2008

The Wikipedia article refers to Michael Quinion (2002-08-31). Shank's
mare. World Wide Words.  But not much more there, except to remind us
(me?) that there is "shank v. =
1. dial.  a. intr. To walk, to travel on foot; also with const. away.
Often to shank it.
    a1774 Fergusson Poems, King's Birthday 83 If baudrins slip but to
the door,+I fear, She'll no lang shank upon all four This time o'year. ...

Joel