Credit to Barry Popik (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Jan 17 16:56:15 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> >Barry, I believe, took the phrase back to 1822.
> >
> >Gale's Eighteenth Century Collections Online has the phrase
> appearing
> >as early as 1706.  It may have been a cliché for quite a while when
> >Bulwer-Lytton got ahold of it.
>
> Will they have to rename the competition?  And, Bill, tell us
> who the new, 1706 eponym will be!
>
> Joel

Rogers, Timothy. A discourse concerning trouble of mind, and the disease of melancholy. In three parts. ... The second edition. Corrected. By Timothy Rogers, ... London, 1706. 522pp.  p. 369

"These are some of the sorrows that deserted Souls often meet withal; and indeed, but a small part of what they feel in this dark and stormy night."