Junker/Junko/Junco Partner

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jan 20 18:01:23 UTC 2008

At 1/20/2008 11:42 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Vic Damone?? Who'da thunk it?  Most interesting and valuable, Wilson.
>
>   I can't guess at "lanky" either.  And what's a "hotban'"?  Maybe
> a "hop pad"?

Hatband? And his head was probably in it when he was "shah
tup".  Anyone who would say "Soive' six munts" might say "hotban'".

(At this very instant I'm reading "The Whimsical Jester: or Rochester
in High Glee" (1788) -- in an attempt to get in tune with 19th
century humor -- with a similar incident:  a man finding another in
bed with his wife, throws the other's hat out the window.  Being
ashamed at what he had done, he goes to the king, who pardons him,
saying he was justified. "Yes, my liege, but his head was in it.")

Perhaps "lanky" is just a "long" tractor.

Joel