A language kept alive on life support, literally

Mon Jan 21 15:45:59 UTC 2008

Charlie,
As for the prescriptivist nature of some strains of linguistic preservationism, see my review in the latest issue of LANGUAGE. Cheers,
Ron Butters

------Original Message------
From: Charles Doyle
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Sent: Jan 21, 2008 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] A language kept alive on life support, literally

In my Milton class, when asked to explain what the literary scholars (with decorous Latinity) term Adam's "uxoriousness," I defined it (with decorous clipping) as his being "whipped." The students, nearly all white, understood immediately, perfectly, and guffawingly.

But I agree with Wilson's (and Dennis B's) point about language preservation. It's a form of prescriptivism: "You, little peasant native boy, ought to talk like your great-grandparents!"

--Charlie