English words beginning with <j> pronounced [Z]?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 21 19:42:43 UTC 2008

At 1:56 PM -0500 1/21/08, Charles Doyle wrote:
>A while back, didn't we discuss a word pronounced [ZUZ], a noun
>referring to a quick shake given to something? I have no idea how
>the word might be spelled!
>
>--Charlie

Most posters who seemed to know (or at least seemed to be confident)
had it as "zhuzh", and cited Queer Eye for the Straight Guy as the
vector.  (Steve Kleinedler may have nominated it for one of the WOTY
categories a couple of years ago.)

LH