Amos, Andy, and "unlax"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 22 02:09:46 UTC 2008

At 5:25 PM -0500 1/21/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Did the person who wrote the Playboy piece claim to have heard the
>radio show? "Dose" instead of "dim"? Shouldn't dat be "_de_ Kingfish"?
>Of course, he was addressed simply as "Kingfish." I know the name of
>the lodge only from reading about the show. If it was ever referred to
>as anything but "de Lodge," it must have been on shows aired before I
>could understand Ang-lish. "Unlax _yo'se'f"_? Does anyone say "relax
>yourself" in any dialect?
>
>-Wilson

Sorry, Wilson.  I hate to be the source of disabuse (better than dat
abuse), but there are *185,000* google hits for "relax yourself",
headed by various no doubt ripoff organizations teaching you how to
do it, including one featuring "[a] stylish music video from
Colombia, complete with dream-rock grooves."

LH

>Well, most writers of negro dialect, whether black or white, simply
>pulled it out of their asses.

[exasserbating the problem]