English words beginning with <j> pronounced [Z]?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 22 18:39:39 UTC 2008

At 10:20 AM -0800 1/22/08, Brenda Lester wrote:
>shouldn't it be J pronouced like ZH??

That's what we've been using [Z] to indicate in this thread and
others, a voiced alveo-palatal fricative as in "rouge" or "pleasure".
[J] is the affricate, as in "judge".  Somewhere there's a list of
these notations within ascii-netic transcription.

LH