"tarriwag", 1784 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 24 01:30:28 UTC 2008

FWIW, I know "tallywhacker" only as a literary term.

BTW, is "peterweter" used only in BE? I haven't heard it since I was a
child in Texas, where it was used primarily, if not only, by mothers,
aunts, and little boys as a replacement for "penis." Older boys and
men use both "peter" and "dick," with the latter being the "standard."

-Wilson

On Jan 23, 2008 10:52 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "tarriwag", 1784 (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> "Tallywhacker" is indeed more frequent.
>
>   JL
> "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens