Obama warns of the "old okey-doke"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Jan 25 14:36:54 UTC 2008

>Given his background--raised in part by older white people
>from Kansas--I'd expect that the 'OK' meaning would be more
>familiar to him.

While his mother and maternal grandparents were originally from Kansas,
Obama was born and (mostly) raised in Hawaii. He lived with his mother until
age ten--he spent the years 6-10 in Indonesia after his mother had remarried
an Indonesian man. At age ten he returned to Hawaii to live with his
maternal grandparents, where he remained until he came to the mainland for
college at Occidental in L.A. and then Columbia in N.Y.C.