Apology [was: Obama warns of the "old okey-doke"]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 25 17:51:39 UTC 2008

I first heard "go for the okey-doke" in Los Angeles ca.1957-58. How in
the world do some of these things spread from some source to the
entire country in no time at all, whereas others remain only
catchphrases used by the people who think them up?! (When I was a
teen, a friend thought up, "Oh, my roony!" No one else picked up on
it, whereas another friend's "to whale a while!" went everywhere,
perhaps even beyond Saint Louis. I've also heard it in Los Angeles,
but there were a *lot* of people from Saint Louis there, both people
that I had known in Saint Louis and others from there that I first met
in L.A. I even met other (black) people born in Marshall, Texas,
there. Los Angeles is a hell of a place!)

Naturally, I don't expect an answer nor am I claiming any kind of
antedating WRT "okey-doke." Who knows how long it was before he noted
it that Abrahams first heard it? It's the fact that it was used
simultaneously on both coasts that I mean to underline.

-Wilson

On 1/24/08, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Apology [was: Obama warns of the "old okey-doke"]
>
> My desk copy of the revised ed. of Abrahams's book (Chicago: Aldine, 1970) (revised from his doctoral dissertation) indicates that the joke containing "okey-dok" (p. 225) was recorded in manuscript in 1958-59.
>
>   FWIW.
>
>   JL
>
>   "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens