Heard on The Judges

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 26 19:45:16 UTC 2008

At 10:53 AM -0500 1/26/08, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Meaning "Mom and her family", "John and his family"?
>
>m a m (not M&M or Eminem)

Basically, but not necessarily the respective family as such; could
be people they live with or work with or hang out with, depending on
the context, as I understand it.  I could be wrong, though, since
it's not native to me.  I wonder if there's a distinction between
those areas in which the last vowel is a schwa and those where it's
an [E].

LH