"Billy Ned"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 30 00:56:36 UTC 2008

At 1/29/2008 07:24 PM, Christine Ricks wrote:
>My aunt used an expression that I wonder if anyone knows the meaning
>of. She said "(something) hurt like a billy ned."  Any help would be
>appreciated.

Perhaps the audio from an NPR "All Things Considered" of Sept. 9,
2004, "Passing Sayings Along to a New Generation", will
explain.  Google reveals text of "Who's Billy Ned? Some of these
phrases came from his farming background, ... I still don't know who
Billy Ned is, but I say it anyway 'cause, ...".  However, I don't
find that text on the page, and I didn't try to listen.

URL is www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3908786

Joel