Classless

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Jan 31 05:18:05 UTC 2008

>One can assume, I assume, that the cited U wasn't Harvard, since "common"
>there has an altogether different meaning.

Sorry, brevity the soul of obscurity again. I was thinking of the
U/non-U distinction as propounded in mid-century by Diana Mitford et
al. -- U being upper class.

I know the Boston area abounds in commons. Also in squares which
aren't square. Near Tufts U, where I did grad school, there are Davis
Square, Inman Square, Ball Square, and pretty much every other
intersection of major streets is a Square too (Harvard Square and
Brattle Square making a very nice sort of hourglass between them),
and one thing they nearly all have in common is not being rectilinear
quadrilaterals. The intersections that _are_ square are generally too
insignficant to be Squares.

Oops. Tangent. Sorry. How classless of me. (Wait... I just had class
today, from 3 to 6 this afternoon.)

James Harbeck.