dative uses (was Re: Prescriptive Linguists)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 31 16:11:40 UTC 2008

I think in this lyric "for" means "to" so it makes sense.  "Pawn" really means "trade," and he says he wants to pawn all he owns, even his heart, to her for her love.  So using the word "pawn" means she must be the pawnbroker.  Instead, if he pawns it all to another pawnbroker for cash and gives it to her, what's he got left for her to love.  She wouldn't want cash in the affairs of the heart, I think.  Or maybe she's a material girl, keeps her end of the bargain says "She loves him" and takes the cash.  Doesn't sound like true love though.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.