Re: [ADS-L] Pronounci ng drug names (w. note for Wilson)

Thu Jan 31 18:50:28 UTC 2008

Huh?

The word "dessert" in English no more has a "double consonant" than does the
word "desert," right?

Or if you are talking about spelling conventions, then why don't we write
"reppeat," "rellate," etc., but we do write "innocent," "pollen," etc.?

In a message dated 1/30/08 11:25:07 PM, truespel at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Regards syllabic stress and spelling -
> There is a tendency for a stressed syllable to be indicated by a double
> consonant in English; for example, desert/dessert.  For stressed syllables that
> both begin and end with double consonants, like "accommodate", the most common
> spelling mistake (75%) is to drop the second double (accomodate) rather than
> the first (acommodate).  Thus, truespel phonetics indicates stress (on other
> than the first syllable) with a preceding double consonant. ~ukkaamudaet.

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.