r to l dissimilation in "infrastructure"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 2 00:06:23 UTC 2008

_Flustrated_ is "standard" in BE. I doubt that there's any connection
with "flustered," a word whose use is rare in colloquial sE and
non-occurrent in colloquial BE. I've been familiar with "flustered"
for about sixty years and have never had occasion to speak it.

-Wilson

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Nancy Hall <hall.nancy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Nancy Hall <hall.nancy at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: r to l dissimilation in "infrastructure"?
>
>> i'm sure i've seen other examples of (anticipatory) r > l
>> dissimilation in english (the textbook example is post-classical latin
>> peregri:nus > pelegrinus -- eventually pilgrim in english), but i
>> can't at the moment recall them.
>

> There are a few American dialectal examples I'm aware of, like "flitters"
> for "fritters", "frail" for "flail", and maybe "flustrated" for
> "frustrated", although that last one is likely a blend of "frustrated" and
> "flustered". But these are very old; "flitters" and "flustrated" are
> attested from 1837. "Inflastructure" would be more interesting to me because
> "infrastructure" is a relatively new word. The OED's first citation is 1927.
>

> --Nancy

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens