Dialect variation in the Times

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 2 03:05:21 UTC 2008

I think it's a decent conundrum.  Many pop songs have lyrics of varied and
dubious aural interpretations; 'official' online versions of lyrics have
settled many disputes over what singers actually sang in their songs, at
least for my generation.  (I think the author mentioned this in the
article.)  In this case, everyone seems to agree that the _ain't_ is
definitely in the original recording, so it's a moot point. But in general,
when quoting a lyric, even if you're not *exactly* sure what it is, should
you trust your ear, or go with an online source many other people apparently
agree upon?

(And what of songs who's lyrics vary slightly from rendition to rendition?
Hundreds of live performances of a song are sure to have variation over
time.)