Dating of "Columbia" = America

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 4 16:41:00 UTC 2008

Re-reading Ben's message and the Wikipedia
article on de Miranda, I don't think "Wikipedia gives Francisco de
Miranda as the person who conceived of using the
name to refer[] to the Americas."  Wikipedia says
"He conceived the name Colombia _for this
empire_, after the explorer Christopher Columbus"
(emphasis added).  The "empire" was to "consist[]
of all the territories that had been under
Spanish and Portuguese rule, stretching from the
Mississippi River to Cape Horn."  So it was not
the Americas in total, merely all of Central and
South America (and a good chunk of western North
America to boot).  And in any case, his use of
"Colombia" circa 1800-1810 was at least 60 years
after earlier uses to refer to America..

I would now confidently assert that Read (named
in Dave Wilton's message) is correct:  "Columbia"
was developed in England circa 1738-1741, and perhaps coined by Samuel Johnson.

Joel