Dating of "Columbia" = America

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jul 5 00:36:19 UTC 2008

At 7/4/2008 01:56 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>Yes, I agree. I wasn't claiming it was earlier, only that there might
>be a separate origin in Spanish. As to the geographical region
>involved, that may very well have been the starting point in Spanish
>to refer to all or parts of the Americas with Columbus's name. BB

And I can't quarrel with Ben (much).  It was just
that his reporting of the Wikipedia statement
sounded broader than I read it.  As for
"Colombia" in Spanish usage, I have no
knowledge.  Unless perhaps Don Geraldino passed
the Reports from the Senate of Lilliput on to his masters in Madrid.  :-)

Joel