Actionable Offenses: Scrouge

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jul 8 14:18:01 UTC 2008

        I initially discounted the likelihood of a link between
"scrouge" and "screw" because of the different vowel sounds, but
apparently the vowel sound in "scrouge" can vary, so conceivably there
is some connection.  What say our experts?  Jon, Jonathon, Jesse?

        "Sim" is an old-fashioned name or nickname.  I'm not aware of
any particular significance to it, but maybe there was one in the 1890s.
I expect that the narrator said "Sim Jones" because he forgot he was
supposed to be talking about "Sim Hadley."  The title, Sim Hadley on a
Racket, makes it sound as if that's our hero's name, but the speaker is
supposedly Willy Brown.  Is there any significance to the use of
"racket" to mean an "assignation whorehouse"?

        The reference to the Spanish fellows would be because of the
high tensions with Spain during this period, which was around the time
of the Spanish-American War.  The liner notes suggest that Maud was
singing "Over the Bounding Main" because she "took" the three Spanish
fellows in her wine sale.

        "Gall bladder" means someone with a lot of gall, according to
the liner notes.  Not in HDAS.

        Buy.com has the CD for $12.98, with free shipping if your total
order is at least $25.  That's the best price I saw.

John Baker