A million English words, or only 600,000? Either way, it's a language packed with more words than you'll ever need

LanDi Liu strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 9 17:34:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Dennis Baron <debaron at illinois.edu> wrote:
> If only literates could coin words, then how could language develop
> before literacy? Oh wait, maybe it didn't.  Words are slippery things
> to count; new words slipperier; words on their way out slipperiest?

I don't think only literates can coin words, but I think they'd be
more likely to, especially in England in the 1590s.  Also, in that
time, if illiterates coined words, they would be much less likely to
be recorded.

Randy