A million English words, or only 600,000? Either way, it's a language packed with more words than you'll ever need

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Jul 9 18:08:11 UTC 2008

good point, Arnold. However any "publicity" I afforded Payack pales
before the newspaper articles that reported his claims over the past
week (check the links in the post-- there are many more, as you will
see in lexis/nexis) -- i hoped in a small way to rebut the million-
word claim impact by satirizing his efforts.  btw, i hope no one got
the impression that i actually think English has too many words for
its own good. far from it.  what you have here is a case of the
unreliable narrator.

dennis
____________________
Dennis Baron