Scottish Language Dictionaries fundraiser

Sat Jul 12 10:33:55 UTC 2008

The Scottish Language Dictionaries program has had its funding
withdrawn by the Scottish Arts Council.

SLD, a charity, is responsible for the Dictionary of the Scots
Language online (which offers at no charge the 22 volumes of the
Scottish National Dictionary and the Dictionary of the Older Scottish
Tongue, and other works), the Concise Scots Dictionary, the Essential
Scots Dictionary, and other reference works.

As a regular user of DSL, I write this email in order to encourage my
colleagues to support SLD in any way they can.

To ensure that they stay in operation, SLD is holding a fundraiser by
auctioning celebrity-related items on eBay, including stuff from actor
Alan Cumming, radio presenter Andrew Marr (whose "Start the Week"
podcast is one of my must-listens), the shooting script for the movie
"Sweet Sixteen," dinner with Hardeep Singh Kohli--he'll cook, a signed
photo of actor Robbie Coltrane, and other items.

The auction:

http://www.scotsdictionaries.org.uk/auction.html

The main site:

http://www.scotsdictionaries.org.uk/

A story in the Scotsman about the funding and fundraiser:

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Place-your-bids-and-mind.4282198.jp

Thanks,

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org