Who's diddling and how?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 15 16:20:17 UTC 2008

I think that it was into the '80's before I began to cease to
understand "she fucked him" as other than nonsense or clumsy metaphor.
And I still feel that it's really simply another example of "fade
logic" (here I pun on the phrase, "spade logic," that a white friend
of mine customarily uses, apparently without giving it a second
thought, to describe the thought processes of non-academic blacks; the
real opposite of "fade" is "shade," "spade" generally having only its
literal meaning in blackspeak), pretending that there's equality,
where actually none exists.

IMO:

"She fucked him [either by giving him some or metaphorically, though
the latter sense is better expressed as 'she fucked over him']."

"He fucked her [if used metaphorically, then the sense is better
expressed as 'he fucked over her']."

-Wilson

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Who's diddling and how?
>
> I can well remember a time--in my callow late youth, in a way more benighted time--when it sounded odd to me (even downright ungrammatical) if I heard "She fucked him" instead of the more normal (perhaps divinely ordained) "He fucked her."
>
> Also, I once remarked that the locution "He was masturbating himself" seems redundant, and I was sharply reproved for my naivete and lack of imagination. Guilty as charged . . . .
>
> --Charlie

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens