street work

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 17 21:40:49 UTC 2008

I grew up in New York City, so I first stumbled over "just north of
Spruce St."  Since 34th runs east-west, to locate something on it one
should be saying "just east|west of" something.  Then I stumbled over
"Spruce Street", which -- if it even exists in NY -- surely does not
intersect 34th.

When I realized. from the "north of" and "east lane", that 34th was
instead running north-south, I had no confusion.  A north-south
street does not have an eastbound lane, so "east traffic lane" must
mean the lane on the east (northbound, if the manhole is not located
in Britain, etc.) side of 34th.

Joel