street work

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 17 23:38:14 UTC 2008

At 5:09 PM -0400 7/17/08, Mark Mandel wrote:
>If you wouldn't mind, please read this paragraph and then answer the
>question below.
>
>----
>JPC construction will be doing work at a manhole location on 34th
>Street just north of Spruce Street. Therefore, the east traffic lane
>will be closed for approximately 4 weeks during the hours of 7:00am -
>3:30 pm M-F.
>----
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>

>Did you read that as referring to
>  1. the eastbound lane, or
>  2. the lane on the east side of the street?
>
>The intended reading is #2: 34th St. in Philadelphia runs N-S, so
>there is no eastbound lane. But I first read it as #1. Then I realized
>that that was impossible and it must refer to the eastbound lane of
>Spruce Street. But the text says 34th north of Spruce, not in the
>intersection, and I wound up writing for clarification. The reply was
>
>----
>You are correct. 34th runs North to South. Therefore there is an east
>side and a west side of the street. In the case of the construction
>location, the lane on the east side of the street will be blocked off.
>----
>
>I grew up in NYC, where the numbered streets run E-W,

And you can figure out which are which by remembering the ditty I
learned at my father's knee:

The even streets are the eastbound streets
And the westbound streets are odd.

(With the E-E mnemonic in the first line.)
Doesn't work for all of them, of course--besides the major two-way
thoroughfares (generally deducible from the location of subway
stops*) there are a few one-way outliers, around the south end of
Central Park (motivated, I always assumed, by the needs of the 59th
St. Bridge traffic).

*which in turn reminds me of the old arithmetical puzzle, to which
I've now revealed the answer:

Q:  What's the next integer in the arithmetical sequence  <4, 14, 23, 34, ...>?

A:  42, of course.

LH