"machine" 'car, automobile'

David Metevia djmetevia at CHARTERMI.NET
Sun Jul 20 11:07:32 UTC 2008

                In Michigan, it is still common to say "snow machine" to
refer to the snowmobile.

                -----Original Message-----
                From: American Dialect Society
[mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Benjamin Barrett
                Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:06
                To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
                Subject: Re: "machine" 'car, automobile'

                ---------------------- Information from the mail header
                Sender:       American Dialect Society
<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
                Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>

-------

                Perhaps also of interest is "snow machine." As I recall,
that was the
                default term in Alaska when I lived there 30 years ago.
BB