To "maggie"

Sun Jul 20 18:01:28 UTC 2008

That's how I generally hear it. I've found that palatalized liquids
are nearly impossible for many people to pronounce. One example is my
cat, Ryouma, whose name begins with a palatalized flap. I've found
that even pronouncing it as a palatalized "r" leaves people nonplussed.

The word sommelier, of course, now refers not just to wine, but
espresso (and perhaps other things as well). BB