Query: Why the "Big Apple" Peak on Okinawa?

Sun Jul 20 18:27:33 UTC 2008

I don't have an answer to you, but I did look around a bit.

I found 小禄 for Oroku easily, but Yaeju-dake is more difficult.

I found an English reference listing Yaesu-dake along with Yaeju-dake (http://www.geonames.org/maps/google_26.131_127.721.html
). It seems that 八重瀬岳 (Yaesu-dake) must have an older or
alternate reading of Yaeju-dake that became common in English. Another
possibility is the misreading of the characters.

The location seems to match the ibilio map location as well as the
Wikimedia Commons map of Yaese (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Yaese_in_Okinawa_Map.gif
).

Contradicting evidence is that the Japanese article for Yaese-cho (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/八
重瀬町) gives the height of Yaese-dake as 163 m, which far exceeds
the citation of "290 feet above the adjoining valley floor" unless
that doesn't refer to the actual altitude.

HTH
BB