funny meaning gay

John M. Spartz jspartz at PURDUE.EDU
Mon Jul 21 17:53:20 UTC 2008

A medievalist friend of mine asked me for some help in finding any information
about the historical use of the word 'funny' meaning 'gay' (in the homosexual
sense). Specifically, he is interested in antedating information and any early
literary uses/references.

I know that Wilson Gray and Benjamin Barrett had a brief back-and-forth about
this sense of 'funny' back in September, 2004, but nothing substantive.  I,
also, could find nothing on it in HDAS, OED, or any other such source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--John M. Spartz