Media inquiry: "a hop, skip, and a jump"

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at BYU.EDU
Tue Jul 22 18:52:30 UTC 2008

>From the OED:

(1760) Tr. Shandy (ed. 3) I. xii. 48. " and if the subject was started in the fields with a hop , skip, and a jump, at the end of it."
(1816) F. BURNEY. Lett. 2 Apr., " Your kind father.. instantly ran downstairs, with a hop , skip, and a jump"
(1858) Upper Rhine v. ?2 (1860) 265. "It seems literally but a hop , skip, and a jump, from one.. shelf of crags to the other"
(1906) Smart Set June 102/1 "and hop-skip-and-jump into the train. To go hop , skip and jump over the earth's surface"
 -- and later ones as well.

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **