As A Metaphor, It's Maybe a 3-and-a-Half

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Jul 23 13:52:29 UTC 2008

The pre/post word that always strikes me as redundant is "pre-condition," as
in "Obama is willing to talk with the Iranians with no pre-conditions."

Some military synonyms for "postplan:"

--after-action review (or report)
--lessons learned
--hotwash (a review done immediately afterwards, while everything is fresh
in people's minds)

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Charles Doyle
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:53 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: As A Metaphor, It's Maybe a 3-and-a-Half

"Preplan" (or "pre-plan") has always struck me as redundant, but it's well
attested and at least as old as the 19th century, the OED shows.

To be symmetrical, the local school district here holds "postplanning"
sessions for teachers at the end of the school year. The OED does not record
that term. "Postplan" gets 3,670 raw Google hits (123 in Google Books),
"postplanning" 1,540 raw Google hits (113 in Google Books). I don't know how
to search "pre-plan" or "pre-planning" effectively.

--Charlie