Tastes like Chicken

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Jul 24 17:41:20 UTC 2008

If you search "tasted like chicken" at google books:

1907 Ferdinand Magellan By Frederick Albion Ober
p.217 [in the Philippines?] ...frugiverous bats, "as large as eagles,"
the flesh
of which, he [in 1521?] says, tasted like chicken.

1908 Egypt and the English, Showing British Public Opinion in Egypt
Upon the...,
by DBW Sladen
p.267. [in the Sudan] ..an iguana three or four feet long....it saw
them eating
it...This was no surprise to me, for I knew Australian explorers who had eaten
them, and said they tasted like chicken. Frogs and snakes certainly do.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson