"(The) hate stare"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 28 02:59:11 UTC 2008

<sigh!>  I'm afraid that I've slipped past the age at which one is hip
to the jive, Grant. I know the game, but not the name, so to speak.
These uses are new to me. Sorry. But you have started me to trying to
recall whether we had a word for this in my lost youth.

-Wilson

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Grant Barrett
<gbarrett at worldnewyork.org> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: "(The) hate stare"
>
> On Jul 26, 2008, at 16:54, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
>> "She ... glared at me with such loathing [that] I knew [that] I was
>> receiving what the Negroes call _"the hate stare."_
>
> Wilson, do you know the expressions "mean-mugging" or "mad-mugging"?
> They are the same, I believe, and most likely to be used by young
> black men, from what I've seen. I've got a bit of information:
>
> Mean-mugging:
>
> http://dtww.org/index.php/dictionary/mean_mugging/
>
> Mad-mugging:
>
> http://dtww.org/index.php/citations/mad_mugging_1/
>
> Just plain mugging:
>
> http://dtww.org/index.php/citations/mugging_1/
>
> Also are apparently from the same place as the mugging=making faces
> for an audience, which is mug=face.
>
> Grant Barrett
> Double-Tongued Dictionary
> http://www.doubletongued.org/