"Call you crazy but..."

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 5 16:41:18 UTC 2008

Not to be quippy, but in a sentence like 'Goddamn the imperial warmongers.'
isn't it an imperative addressed at God?  (On the particularness of
'damning' I disagree to that part of the Phuc Dong paper.  I think it goes
back to cultures where magic and minor curses were accepted practice.)

As for something like 'Call me crazy...' wouldn't that be an implied "[You
can] call me crazy, but..." ?  To me it seems an invitation to an associate,
as derogatory terms coming from close associates can have a harmless sort of
quality to them, while the same epithets from a stranger might seem to sting
more.  (In any case, it all depends on the delivery.)

So, if the example you cite was the inverse of this, then 'Call you crazy,
but...' might imply something like "[I might] call you crazy, but for some
reason you like saving money."

It keeps the derogation coming from a 'safe' source, presuming that there's
an immediate familiarity formed by the speaker in the commercial with the
viewer (which seems a common advertising conventions).