Q: date for "bobalition"?

Barnhart barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Mon Jun 16 17:30:35 UTC 2008

American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> writes:
>------------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>Subject:      Q: date for "bobalition"?
>
>I don't find "bobalition" (abolition) in the OED.  When is it dated
>to?  Should it be in the OED?
>
>Joel

Here is a good example of a term that benefits from "Googling".  Nexis and
ProQuest (two pretty standard sources) have very little.  Historic NYT has
nothing.  These I have just checked at home.  Googling produced more--569.

>From an academic library there might be more sources to search.

If something in the 569 is strong enough, it might go into a dictionary in
due course.  Some seem at first glance to support early 19th century
evidence.

DKB