"call a spade a spade"

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Sat Jun 21 01:52:04 UTC 2008

Wilson ==
I've been wondering why you've been so silent on this string.
I never saw that ad by Famous-Barr -- which is nearly as good
as the trucking co called Barr-Nunn -- not being a regular
reader of the Post-Dispatch or other from the Wet Louis area.
But I have to say that, IMHO, picking on that ad is a serious
pan of fun -- which is what I reckon the copy writer was having.
;)
doug

Famous-Barr, as The May Company was known in
Saint Louis, its corporate headquarters, once ran a full-page ad in
the local broadsheets with the title, "BLACK IS THE ACE OF SHADES!!!,
to advertise a sale of women's clothing styles in black. I found this
somewhat racist, but also rather cute, being, as I am, a serious fan
of puns.

-Wilson