ADS-L Digest - 19 Jun 2008 to 20 Jun 2008 (#2008-173)

Josh Macfelder josh.a.macfelder at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 21 04:21:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:05:34 -0400 "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

James Harbeck's inclusion of spinning wheels in his placement of the days is
incorrect. Spinning wheels were certainly used later than the 17th century.
And they were an important element in British land war of the other
continent, namely the Revolutionary war: the colonials, in their efforts to
boycott imports from Britain, endeavored to spin more.

MY COMMENT:
Thanks for pointing that out.

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

Which leads me to wonder (rhymes with yonder): Josh Macfelder seems to have
assumed the song relates to a war on the continent. Why not overseas? Or why
not a civil war in England?

MY COMMENT:
I have assumed that since the song reads, in one place:

But now my love has gone to France,
To try his fortune to advance;
If he e'er comes back, 'tis but a chance,
Is go dte tu mo mhuirnin slan

Therefore, to me it's obvious the war was on the Continent,
not on the British Isles nor in the Americas. My bad, I should
have included the complete lyrics I was referring to.

Sincerely,

Josh.