"fall guy" antedating (1895)

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 21 15:31:11 UTC 2008

nicely done.

I've long suspected datings from the 1890's would be found.  And the locales
you found are pretty interesting too.  Most of the sources I've seen, point
to its beginnings out west.

Newspaperarchives.com says there are at least six citations before 1897.
Supposedly some of them have to do with boxing, though I haven't seen them.
(Two of these are apparently from the NYT, but I haven't found them on NYT's
site... so I'm not sure what newspaperarchives is talking about.)

For me, what's particularly interesting about your 1896 cite, is its
relation to political machinery/corruption.  That's a context for which I
hadn't heard of its existence up until now.  Most of us are readily familiar
with the 'fall guy' who takes the hit to quell a political scandal, but this
one seems much more in line with its early usage regarding con-jobs, etc.