fake American dialects (Society Listserv?)

David Donnell daviddonnell at NYC.RR.COM
Mon Jun 23 20:15:18 UTC 2008

Hugh Laurie's "House" dialect & Charlize Theron's adopted
conversational dialect have nothing to do with "comic effect", unless
I'm missing something.

Also, you say most people don't know the difference between a good &
bad fake U.S. accent... I guess that's true, sounds like it.

In any case, my point was that *I* usually know the difference--at
least I think I do--but Hugh Laurie fooled me. I was surprised to
learn that he's a Brit. And if many others are doing fake U.S.
accents as passably as him, maybe I'm not as good at catching 'fake
Americans' as I thought--always possible. I'd be interested in
hearing about 'em.

DD