Heard on The Judges: "seldomly" = "occasionally"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 24 00:14:31 UTC 2008

>Thirty-ish, black, female speaker:
>
>"My relationship with him was basically just a friendship, but we did
>_seldomly_ hook up."

I predict Jerry Cohen would see this as a blend of "seldom" and
either "rarely" or "infrequently".  I see it as a redundant
affixation of adverbial-forming -ly on an item that's already an
adverb, as with "fastly" (which I believe we've previously debated,
and which earns 377,000 g-hits).

LH