halva 1834 antedates OED 1846-

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jun 24 17:20:17 UTC 2008

At 6/24/2008 12:24 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>I sent Barry Popik Joel's "challenge for Barry?"
>ads-l message The challenge is whether Barry can
>further antedate the 1834 attestation of
>"halva," and it turns out he has already done
>so.  From the ads-l archives (written by Barry):

I have to dispute that Barry has antedated
me:  The date of the English-language translation
is 1834-1850 (2 vols. in 3).  Source:
WorldCat.  Also, Barry's halva are from Vol. 1,
Part 2, which may be later than 1834.  (I don't
know if I can check this at Harvard, since
Widener's copy is missing that title page.)

 From Barry's first message for this source (also June 2, 2002):

NARRATIVE OF TRAVELS IN EUROPE, ASIA, AND AFRICA, IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY
by Evliya Efendi
translated from the Turkish by The Ritter Joseph von Hammer
London: Printed for the Oriental Translation Fund
of Great Britain and Ireland, sold by Parbury, Allen & Co. 1834
Johnson Reprint Corporation, NY and London 1968

Joel