Etymology of "broad" = [approx.] "gal"

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 27 01:14:41 UTC 2008

I think the 'Broadway girl' idea has some merit.  Also consider that in
1900-1920, it was before the movie really came to the fore, and so most
entertainment was still live.   did the number of broadway shows (and
Broadway actresses, and aspiring actresses) peak around that time?  I've
looked (briefly) for this historical data, and found none.