Second person singular

Fri Jun 27 20:22:06 UTC 2008

This may have been discussed here before, but the explanation I recall
is that the Friends (Quakers) believed everyone should be equal, so
they used "thou" (familiar) in situations where everyone else used
"you" (formal). In order to escape from being labelled a Friend,
"thou" was shunned. This is something I *heard* in a class, so please
take it with a grain of salt. BB