Etymology of "broad" = [approx.] "gal"

Mon Jun 30 17:39:53 UTC 2008

did the number of broadway shows (and
> Broadway actresses, and aspiring actresses) peak around that time?

Well, the Ziegfeld Follies began its run of annual productions in 1907, featuring naked or near-naked beauties, as well as the major vaudeville stars of the day: W. C. Fields, Ed Wynn, Fannie Brice, and especially Bert Williams.  Ziegfeld's slogan was "Glorifying the American Girl".  George White's Scandals began in 1919; like Ziegfeld, he worked with Gershwin and other major popular composers.   Earl Carroll's Vanities began in 1923; he was described as "selling gutter humor and naked female flesh to morons".  Ziegfeld may have had other imitators before White.

GAT

George A. Thompson