wolfing/woofing (was Just wondering)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 1 05:11:59 UTC 2008

Yes, that is what she has, but who knows what sound she intended to
represent with that spelling? The ordinary eye-dialect representation
of the BE pronunciation of the word spelled "wolf" is "woof." For the
sound spelled "woof," there's the same variation in BE that there is
in any other dialect with regard to "hoof" and "roof." So, even if,
somewhere, she writes "woof (rhymes with 'hoof' and 'roof')," we'd
still need the help of a phonetician familiar with her idiolect to
decipher her intended pronunciation. But if, somewhere, she writes,
"By 'woof,' I mean the onomatopoetic representation of the barking of
a dog," then we "know a story," as we say in the 'hood. Otherwise, all
that I know for certain is that there is a BE word that Hurston spells
as "woof," but I don't know its standard equivalent is or even whether
there is one.

However, my intuition is that the standard equivalent is "wolf" and
I've found that intuition to match the intuition of blacks who have
had their work appear in print. Unfortunately, I have no cites to
offer, because, at the time - a couple of dekkids ago - I was
satisfied merely to know for certain that I wasn't swimming against
the tide in thinking that it couldn't truly be the case that when we
blacks said that we were woofin', we were saying that we were merely
barking like dogs and that we didn't have the IQ to be able to derive
from a concrete noun like "wolf" an abstract verb meaning "threaten
with physical harm."

-Wilson

On 2/29/08, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
>  Subject:      wolfing/woofing (was Just wondering)
>
>  It can be used to back away from a threat, while things are still at
>  the wolfing stage and there's still time to escape and yet maintain a
>  semblance of one's cool:
>
>  Isn't this usually "woofing" -- that's what Zora Neal Hurston has, anyway.  Is there such a thing as an "intrusive L"?
>
>  GAT
>
>  George A. Thompson
>  Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens