Japanese tapas & tony vs. fancy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 2 19:38:50 UTC 2008

"Tony" was quite tony, back in the day, meaning "hip," "cool," and
"fancy," all rolled into one. It was a big-time adjective. But, as
everything else does, it got old. Maybe it's been gone long enough to
be making a comeback. "everything old is new, again," or however the
saying goes.

[Far OT: I put capsaicin cream on an arthritic knuckle, forgot about
it, and rubbed my eye. 'Scuse me while I go and cry. (Hey! I'm a poet
and didn't know it! But my feet show it, 'cause they're long
fellows.)]

-Wilson

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
>  Subject:      Japanese tapas & tony vs. fancy
>
>  This extension of the word "tapas" (tapa?) is getting popular, with
>  just under 20,000 Googits. "Tapas" is being used as a translation for
>  ippin ( $B0lIJ (B), literally one dish/product.
>
>  Also related to restaurants is "tony." A recent transplant from San
>  Diego to Seattle commented to me that people in Seattle don't
>  recognize the word "tony." I personally know the word, but I think in
>  Seattle, you need to give some sort of emphasis for people to
>  understand it. "Fancy" is what is common here. BB

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens