Edward Harris, AP, on Nigerian English

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 3 20:06:29 UTC 2008

Great post, Jo-El! Thanks!

It's kinda weird, though, because, if you were black, it wouldn't be a
joke to call you Jo-El. I have a nephew, Jo-Nathan, and I've been
asked why I pronounce "Nathanael" as "NAYtha-nail" or "Nay-THANNa-el.
I "know better," of course, but I don't care. These names are
relatively rare and if it occasionally gives people a chuckle to hear
my pronunciations, good on them (if I'm using this phrase correctly. I
should check with JOnah-thon.)

-Wilson

On 3/3/08, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>  Subject:      Edward Harris, AP, on Nigerian English
>
>  http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gnzr36jU0eMKrqWvV0cVAOJRJtYQD8V5GVF00
>
>  Joel

-----